The video game industry is actually bigger than the film industry and generates well over $100 billion, with such a huge industry there are many jobs available to persons from all walks of life. One of these are video games testing jobs. A lot of persons go into video game design. I even had a friend who went to school for graphic design because he eventually wanted to work for a gaming company. Write of the bat getting any job is hard work and almost even career path has hard work involved to move up in the ranks. I am a Super Smash Bros. fan and the creator Masahiro Sakurai made the very first super smash bros. in 1999 and guess what the very next one was released for the Nintendo Gamecube in 2001. To accomplish this he worked hard for 2 years i.e. every day including weekends and holidays and overtime. This is not to deter anyone but as you know all jobs require hard work and this is know different
What is Video Game Testing
To put in simply this is a job where persons play games in their beta forms, most times parts of the games and rarely ever the entire game to determine whether any problems or bugs exist. Testing can vary from testing software to hardware. Software being the actually code of the game and hard ware being the controllers and other accessories. Testing do however test the game form a customers point of view.
Video Games Testing Jobs
Video game jobs range from according to glass door
- Quality Assurance Tester
- Software Quality Assurance Tester
- Game Design
- Software Developer
- Foreign Linguistics Speakers
- Video Game tester
Video Game Tester Career, how viable is this option?
Like any other career choice, lawyer, doctor, accountant or business owner, being a video games tester is a very viable option. It is simply pick a career path, find out what is needed for the career path and execute.
For example is I am to become an accountant, then I will get and accounting degree, become CPA qualified and apply to a job at one of the Big 4 accounting firms. So what is expected of a video game tester. According to glass door the required skills are:
- Software testing experience
- Experience with bug writing and test case managers
- Experience with Microsoft OS’s and Office products
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to quickly and thoroughly diagnose root causes of issues
- Experienced gamer
- Ability to follow and execute manual test cases
- Ability to Ad-Hoc test software mechanics and functionality
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Valuable Skills
- 1+ years in video game QA
- Ability to understand game systems
- Technical aptitude with platform hardware and functionality
- Previous experience working on shipped titles
- Experience testing across multiple platforms
As you may have noticed like most jobs experience is required for a job you want to do but have never done. The question becomes well how to I get in? How do first timers get in. Some people get in though connections and other getting in there the process, apply, have a great interview and excel as most of what is required on this list. Other may consider interning or shadowing to get in the door. Video game testers can come from gaming figures, i.e. tournament winners or YouTube personalities.
Video Game Tester Salary
A video games tester salary ranges from 40K per annum and some other $15 to $20 an hour, however this is an estimate and varies significantly based on he companies whether it is part times or full time.
Video Game Tester Career Information and being a Video Game Tester
Here is another example of what is needed and the everyday work involved with video games testing:
This position can be can be an internship, part-time, based on your lifestyle. One need to be able to test the games and provide the service through a tournament to test with participants. Video games testers will not get paid for only testing games but will only get paid by testing the games and educating the community through a tournament. Tools and networking to build your clientele and this work can be done at home.
Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Balance and adjust game play experiences to ensure the critical and commercial success of the product.
- Consult with multiple stakeholders to define requirements as well as implement online features.
- Create game play test plans for internal and external test groups.
- Determine supplementary virtual features, such as currency, item catalog, menu design, and audio direction.
- Devise missions, challenges, or puzzles to be encountered in game play.
- Guide design discussions between development teams.
- Keep abreast of game design technology and techniques, industry trends, or audience interests, reactions, and needs by reviewing current literature, talking with colleagues, participating in educational programs, attending meetings or workshops, or participating in professional organizations or conferences.
- Oversee game play testing to ensure intended gaming experience and game adherence to original vision.
- Provide test specifications to quality assurance staff.
- Review or evaluate competitive products, film, music, television, and other art forms to generate new game design ideas.Solicit, obtain, and integrate feedback from design and technical staff into original game design.
- Host video game tournaments online or locally for classic and new video games.
Remember this can be done with children kids that are good at games, hence you can make your kids part of the team as there is know age requirement.
- Like any career path this is takes time and work, if you have a passion for it this can be a great opportunity
- This can also be done, part-time, freelance or full time
- There are know age requirement
- And like any job expect hurdles that to be overcome.
Want to be a freelance video game tester, TRY THIS
Hope this article helps, look forward to everyone’s feedback